2-Month Update on Personal Goals (Cause I Don’t Know What Else to Write About)
I want to write on here more frequently, and I have some free time today, but I don’t know what to write about! So I’m just going to do a 2-month update on the personal goals I posted on here on 3/31/17. I actually have made a pretty decent amount of progress on these for only being 1/6 through the year (if I do say so myself)! I’ll go through these one by one…
1.Finish designing NYC poster – This is DONE!!!
2. Submit NYC poster to contest – Also Done! (Currently waiting to hear back…)
3. Fabricate NYC poster – Almost Done! I have sent the posters to a fabricator and I am going to receive my first samples this Tuesday. Once I nail down the paper type and approve the coloring, I’m going to place my bulk order. So excited! (Little side note: The poster I’m selling is the same concept as the poster I submitted to the contest, but a different size/layout. I’ll have everything on my design website in the next few weeks.)
4. Sell NYC poster – I am well on my way to selling my posters! Once I get the bulk order in the mail, I can technically start selling them. But I want to put a lot of thought into my marketing strategy before I go ahead and do that. One of my flaws is that I get so passionate about my creative projects that I lose sight of the big picture, and for this reason, most of my work goes totally unnoticed. I want to be more “business” about my creative hobbies moving forward, and I’m taking my first stab at this with my NYC poster. At this point, my plan is to rent a space in Union Square to sell them on weekends, and open an Etsy shop to sell them online. I want to sit down with some people who actually know what they’re talking about to develop a more strategic plan in the coming weeks as well.
5. Design and look into fabricating Fruits! notebooks – As I mentioned above, I want to be more “business” about my creative hobbies moving forward. The NYC poster is my first attempt at actually making profit from my designs. If that is successful, then I’ll try creating and selling other products, like notebooks, bedding, wallpaper, etc. My first attempt at creating other products will be my Fruits! notebooks, based on these cards below. I haven’t made any progress on this yet.
6. Make a band poster – Since I finally finished my NYC poster, I can start working on my band posters! I am making two band posters. I already know what bands I’m making them for, and what I want them to look like. Now I just need to execute. These are going to be really cool, so I might look into fabricating and selling these as well.
7. Re-design and clean up my design website!! – Almost done!! I should be done re-designing my design website tomorrow night. That’s the hard part. Then I just need to clean up a bunch of the old posts, and add some new work. There’s a bunch of random stuff on there, and I want to make the website more focused and legit.
8. Move to NYC (I’m commuting to work from NJ now) – MOVING TO MY NEW APARTMENT ON JULY 1st!!! SO EXCITED TO LIVE IN MANHATTAN AGAIN!
9. Go on a New Mexico roadtrip! – IT’S OFFICIAL! Going to New Mexico this October (with my partner in crime/future roommate). We’re going to do a road trip around the state. We haven’t planned much yet, but we’re visiting the week of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, so we’re definitely seeing that, and we’re DEFINITELY going to Pie Town. Also, I heard Santa Fe is a must-see and has a cool music scene, so that too.
10. Start planning my trip to Thailand – I have not made any progress on this, but one of my friends is living in Thailand until around December 2018/January 2019, and I need to go out there and visit her at some point. Right now, I’m thinking next spring or summer would be best, but I need to see what is going on with work and stuff like that before I plan anything. I feel like so much has changed in the last few months alone, so who even knows what my life will be like in a year from now? Can’t plan too far ahead.
11. GROW LONG HAIR – Thank god I have finally nailed down a hair care routine that works for me. My hair is healthier and fuller than ever and it is actually medium length (not short!) right now. If I keep this up, it should be LONG by next year.
So that’s all the updates! I’d say I’m making pretty good progress for being only 2 months in! Hopefully my next blog post is more interesting than this…cause this one was more for myself. Let me know if you have any ideas on topics to write about!